The Red Devils are set to overpay for the France international, according to the midfield legend, who does not think the youngster is yet a "world-class" performer
Manchester United will be ripped off if they buy Paul Pogba for £100 million from Juventus, according to Graeme Souness.
The 63-year-old former central midfielder was a legend in the great Liverpool sides of the early 1980s and also tasted life in Serie A as he played two years for Sampdoria, and he does not think that the France star yet justifies a ‘world-class’ tag.
“For £100m, you expect the finished article, a game-changer. Paul Pogba’s not that. He has the potential to be a top midfield player, but that still wouldn’t put him in that price bracket,” the Scot wrote in his column for The Times.
“I see a decent all-round midfielder with some fancy footwork. I understand why Manchester United are buying him, but I question the price.”
Souness cited the 21-year-old’s failure to impose himself on the big stage as justification for his comments.
“He was unconvincing at Euro 2016. You can get caught up in what a wonderful athlete he is but he ain’t going to be Luis Suarez, getting 40 goals a season.
“I’ve seen him live for Juventus in a European Cup final and semi-final against Barcelona and Real Madrid respectively and haven’t seen him getting hold of a game by the scruff of the neck.”