Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal said he could "quit by myself" after Stoke City condemned his side to a fourth straight defeat.
The Dutchman, under pressure after seven games without a win, was asked whether he feared he would be sacked.
"That is something I discuss with [executive vice-chairman] Ed Woodward not you," Van Gaal told a media conference after the game.
"It is not always the club that has to fire or sack me."
He added: "Sometimes I do that by myself, but I am the one who wants to speak first with the board of Manchester United and my members of staff and my players, not with you."
United's miserable run has seen them knocked out of the Champions League at the group stage and slip out of the top four in the Premier League.
"I have received [the club's backing] all the time but we have lost so there is a new situation," said Van Gaal.
"I feel the support of my players and my board. The fans will be disappointed but that is logical after four defeats."
Van Gaal saw his side quickly go behind to goals from Bojan Krkic and Marko Arnautovic, with United struggling to create chances as they tried to work their way back into the match in the second half.
"We have lost the game in the first 45 minutes because we didn't dare to play our football. That is what I have analysed," said Van Gaal, whose side's next game is at home to Chelsea on Monday.
"The circumstances now play a bigger role and will in the next game also. We have to cope with that and look for the solution.
"It is very difficult as I'm also part of four losses and I have to cope with that and I have to manage that. More important is that my players shall manage that because they have to perform."