The Chelsea forward says he wanted to go back to Spain to join his former club and link up with Diego Simeone, but a few details prevented the transfer
Chelsea striker Diego Costa has revealed that he had his heart set on a return to Atletico Madrid this summer, but the move failed to go through because of "a few details".
Costa is now in his third season with Chelsea, scoring twice in the opening three Premier League games of the season to take him to 39 goals for the London club.
The Spain international had been linked with a move back to Atletico, and he has revealed he would have preferred to be plying his trade at the Vicente Calderon this season instead of Stamford Bridge.
"I wished I could go back to Atletico, I'm not going to lie," he told Spanish TV station Movistar Plus while on international duty.
"Everyone knows what happened to me in England, with the language, the weather and everything. But I can't complain because I'm a boy whom the fans love, at Chelsea they respect me.
"I had the chance to go back but I couldn't, because of a few details. I'm grateful to the people at Atletico, to Cholo [Simeone] especially, who has always put his confidence in me.
"Now I am at Chelsea, I'm doing well, the league has started and I'm focused on that. Things are how they are. I hope that Atletico do very well, like last season but this time win titles. I want the best for them, I always feel for them, but I have to do my work at Chelsea."